Monday, 9 April 2012

Colour & Light Delight

LED lighting is something, as a designer, I'm having to get used to working with. I don't really fully understand the behaviour of light and colour in all ways but ever since I opted to study it for my science project at school age 13 I've been fascinated.

Lighting is always the the bit of magic in a space and the lighting piece/experiment by Dennis Parren below is magic! Apparently it's called 'additive mixture' as your eyes perceive both colours of both light sources... Back to school -
You are probably used to mixing colors as pigments—like paints or food coloring. In such situations, colors subtract. The more colors you put in, the less color you get; that is, you get closer to black, the absence of color. In pigments, for example, blue and yellow make green.
Lights are different. When you put more light in, the colors add. The more colors you put in, the closer you get to white, the mixture of all colors. With light, though it seems weird, red and green make yellow. The other two combinations are more intuitive: Red and blue make MAGENTA; blue and green make CYAN.
Read here if you want to try understand this.

Dennis Parren of the Design Academy Eindhoven 2011 grad show...
CMYK Lamp Colored shadows with Led light 
It is not designed to demonstrate how and why, but to show that light is the true custodian of color... Taking advantage of LED-light technology, I have been able to create a lamp that has never been.



No comments: